A few signs you may have leaky ducts are if you have:
- High utility bills in summer and winter
- Difficult-to-heat-and-cool rooms
- Stuffy rooms that never seem to feel comfortable
- Attic, crawlspace, or garage ducts
- Tangled or kinked flexible ducts in your system
What can you do about leaky ducts?
Run your system, and check all the ducts and joints you can access. You can seal these yourself with mastic or foil-backed tape. You should also seal around where the duct meets the wall. Duct tape is actually not recommended for ductwork, and any fabric-backed tape will deteriorate over time.